Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mimicking Birds, ethereal goodness

Last Sunday I once again found myself at a Modest Mouse show. This one was at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale. I saw Isaac and the boys last June in Miami at the Jackie Gleason Theatre. While Revolution is a better venue, the show in June was much better. I don't know if Mr. Brock is back on the stuff or not, but he sure was acting funny this time around.

To open the show, Modest enlisted a recent signing to Isaac's Glacial Pace label. The band is Mimicking Birds. No doubt they would have been a better match opening for Iron & Wine or Bon Iver. In fact, they seemed to lull the audience to a daze. They, nonetheless, kicked a significant amount of ass, and their ethereal mix of acoustic picking and ambient vocals pretty much blew me away. Look for good things from these guys. I don't think they have released any albums yet, but I have pretty much been listening to their myspace (http://www.myspace.com/natelacy) non-stop.

... and a quick word of advice. Don't waste your time on Japenese Motors, who is the other band touring with Modest. They are a tired, repetition of what has been done a million times since The Strokes and B.R.M.C. entered the scene.

No comments: